Friday 28 February 2014

African Elephant



I am proud to be the largest land mammal, walking on planet earth,
Weighing up to eight tons, I've got me some serious girth.
I can be distinguished by my massive body and large, fan shaped like ears,
Ants climbing up into my long trunk, is one of my most terrible hated fears.

From my Asian relatives I do differ, in quite a number of physical ways, 
They are smaller in body and ears alike, for more trees do they have to protect from the suns rays.
 Both males and females have tusks in my region, while in Asia its just the males alone, 
I'm either left or right-tusked, my favoured one being much smaller as regular from use it is worn.

The Asian has four toes on its hind foot instead of my three, while we both have five on our fore, 
Led by a matriarch, we have complex social structures with both females and calves galore. 
The male of my species tends to live in isolation, preferring to all alone roam, 
We maintain forest and savanna ecosystems, and are integral to the rich biodiversity of our home.

The greatest threats we face are poaching for ivory, human conflicts, habitat loss and degradation,
Please help and an effort, protect the extensive land that I need to survive from starvation.
You compete and conflict with us over resources, but we have no other place to forage and eat,
For our herds do require an extensive amount of food, water and space to stretch our feet.

Another resulting victim of man's folly, greed and whole neglect, 
So now please support conservation as your charity select.  
Help in the fighting to protect me, and those of my kind,
For soon there wont be any of us, left at all around to find.

No comments:

Post a Comment