Friday 28 February 2014

Cross River Gorilla


You'll only find me living in the Congo Basin,
Please help in my conservation, and not my doom to hasten.

I'm not as numerous as the western lowland Gorilla,
My numbers of two hundred, is to me a total horror.

Poaching, disease and habitat destruction,
Critically causing my species, near future extinction.

Vegetarian, I feed on stems, bamboo shoots and just fruit,
For the manner in which my kind have had to die, as a human please feel hurt.

The largest living primate, with a well developed social structure,
Exhibiting behaviour and emotions like humans, laughing and feeling sad at our butcher.

Charismatic and intelligent, less than two percent does even our DNA differ,
I am your closet cousin, after smaller chimps and bonobos, like you I shiver.

We live as individuals a couple, or up to forty as a group round a head male of family.
As adult male I can weigh upto four forty pounds, six foot tall and rather gangly.

As an adult male of fourteen I develop a silverback of white hair,
A baby in 6 years is slow a growth, our population can't survive I do despair

It's across central Africa, illegal trade of me and other great apes, does prevail
So please provide me sanctuary, demand wildlife laws, ones that don't so simply me fail.

No comments:

Post a Comment